Monday 7 February 2011

The Aftermath

OUCH OUCH OUCH
What can I say the pain is unbearable with the gastric bypass surgery.
I arrived at the hospital at 7.20am and waited in the waiting lounge.
There was 4 of us 2 bands and 2 bypass`s.
I was originally 1st on the list but was swapped to 3rd so the ladies with the bands could get it done 1st as they go home the same day.
I was still excited and not at all nervous.
Slowly the time was getting nearer. Luckily I was having a giggle wit my partner Adam and the other lady who was having the bypass. I will call her jen.
So at 10.40 it was time to go up to theatre, I got changed into my hospital gown and said my goodbyes.
I didn't realise how much I loved Adam until I had to say Goodbye and the slight feeling that if something went wrong I would never see him again.
So off me and the nurse went to the 14th floor and to a room.
Through the doors was the theatre and they where finishing off the lady who had the band.
It was quite frightening being in that situation but my nurse too my mind off it.
So I waiting around 30 mins until the antistatic Uri arrived, I then got on the bed and they put in the drip needle.
Jen had said to me look at the time when they give you the antistatic. It was 11.21am.
I came round a few hours later in so much pain and just wanting to be sick. I was so out of it.
They had given me morphine and it made me feel so sick.
I couldn't believe the pain, I would say it was worse than child birth and that is one thing you are not warned about.
That night I hardly slept due to the pain. At 4am I was just laying in bed crying.
I have to say the nurses, doctors and surgeons are all wonderful at charing cross and they made me as comfortable as possible. I was offered Morphine but as it makes me feel so sick I decided to deal with the pain.
The next morning I walked round to see Jen. I am so glad I had her as we each boosted each other when we where feeling down.
Adam brought Ruby to see me today and having my little girl there made me feel much better.
That night I had a good sleep.
Sunday was home time. I have to say I was sad to go home as they done such a good job looking after me.
Sunday in my own bed with my family around me was perfect. Again I had a good night sleep.
Monday/Today I am not really in pain. I have taken all the dressing off my wounds to air them.
Adam is just getting my medication and lunch ready now, chicken soup yummy.
Will write again soon. sorry for the wait guys and thanks for your support

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so happy u had it done and everything went ok for you, have been thinking about you and wondered if u was ok. i can imagion the pain as i ahd 3 c sections and i cant explain how painfull they were but seen as i had 3 of them i think i got over the pain!!lol
hope it works out for you and u dont get any hic ups along the way i suppose the main thing is to not get an infection in the wounds.
keep bloggin wen u get the chance i like to know how u r doing seen as i am thinking of having it done to.
hope ruby is being mummys nurse!
take care emma.xxx

layla1979 said...

Emma thank you so much for your comment, This is the reason I have started this blog. When I was trying to find out information from a patients point of you I couldn't find anything.
My new friend who had the operation the same time as me said its 20 times worse than a c section!!!
but today I feel so much better and there is hardly any pain its just uncomfortable

Anonymous said...

So very pleased everything went well,once you start to see the results you will soon forget all the pain,i wish you lots of luck and happiness and look forward to hearing all about it
Gail xx